Thursday, November 15, 2007

Season's End


I'm always a little sad this time of year. Winter is nearly here, which means cleaning up the yard and putting it to bed. It
is nice to get rid of dead and dormant foliage, branches, and stalks. And I like to think about what things are going to look like in spring after the shrubs and trees get their winter trim-backs. But it also means bare branches, little stubs of rose bushes that have been trimmed to the ground, and flower beds with nothing in them but tubers and bulbs below ground. And I always renew the promise to myself that next year, I am going to be more attentive to my garden and yard.


Before we planted our bulbs last weekend, planted a new
Liatris , and divided our iris corms, as I was cutting back the roses and dahlias I saved the last blooms, which ended up being more than I expected. A little early winter, mid-November cheer for inside the house. Because outside is looking pretty sad.

2 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

You know, for a "lazy" gardener, you seem to be doing a heck of a lot...

Beth said...

LOVE the dahlias! (roses are pretty too but the dahlias are stunning)...

does it help to be all philosophical about it - plants/nature needs a dormant season to be able to bloom once more? or something like that?