Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Lazy Gift-Giver

It's true. I am lazy in other aspects of my life, not just when it comes to my yard. My friends and family might argue that my sometimes-physically demanding 40-hour-a-week job allows me to be lazy. I just hate that excuse.

When October rolls around, I start to think about all of the crafty things I could make as gifts to give out to loved ones in December. Yes, start to think. And then my work life gets crazy-busy, and the next thing I know, it's the beginning of December. And I realize the liqueurs and infusions I want to make should have been started in September, the solid shea butter I haven't ordered yet for various beauty projects will take a week to get here (to say nothing of the time it will take me to make the products once it arrives), and I really should have started making the candles back in October since I only have a few molds. And to be honest, sometimes I don't get my inspiration for my craft projects until after Thanksgiving.

Luckily, there are other people to make cool things and are willing to sell them. There's Crafty Wonderland, and all of the great independent shops all over Portland where industrious and creative people sell their labors of love. And have you been to Etsy? Be careful, it's addictive...if I could pass off some of the great things I've bought there as my own, I would.

So a big THANK YOU to these people for saving me this holiday season.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, I just have to take a minute to rec a seller on Etsy who made a really great bag for me that I use all the time. It took me forever to find what I was looking for in a wristlet and the construction is really nice. Her shop is Babycakes Boutique.

Amy said...

Two words have changed my Christmas shopping forever...

"gift card"

well, those two and "cash" -- which is what the nephews want.

Makes it really easy, I guess -- but it's not as fun to open presents. It takes about 2 mintues for us all to open the envelope and say, "thanks for not getting me something you thought about, made, or searched for."

I kinda miss the days of shopping for the perfect set of Legos.

hilary said...

Kate--Thanks for the tip on Babycakes! Her stuff is quite nice, I added her to my favorites.

Amy--I'm all about the gift card/certificate idea, too. But I know how I am when I get a gift card...it usually sits around my house somewhere or in my wallet, forgotten for months. And then I find it, and it's expired. I guess it would depend on where the card is from. It would be nice if the liquor store had gift certificates. I would definitely use it.

Amy said...

You are brilliant! Yes! Liquor Store Gift Certificates. That is what I want... forever.