Sunday, October 07, 2007

Wait and see...

As predicted, luck was needed in picking out a paint color. We had quite a time of it, and in the end I feel like the right choice was made. See, I'm all for more muted tones, while The Husband likes bold and bright. Not to mention, we're both sort of stubborn people. No, I'm not kidding. It's true.

Now that our floor is more neutral, the one thing in the kitchen that demands you pay attention to it is our dining table. It's a vintage red formica and chrome one, much like this one but rectangle. Oh, and not new. In fact, it's well-worn. But I still love it.Obviously, an earth-tone was going to be too...earthy and bland. I was tired of discussing it, so I just let Husband pick the color.

It's actually much brighter on our walls than this swatch indicates. At first, I felt like I caved too easily. It was too bright, what my cousin K would call "Sesame Street Yellow." But once we got the furniture back into the room, it's really grown on me. And once we get the stuff back up on the walls, and the trim color chosen, and the new cabinet and drawer fronts in and painted...well, I think it's going to be just great.

3 comments:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I've learned from painting that, if I like the swatch color, I go one shade lighter, because once you've got a whole wall of it, it looks much, much brighter. But I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm looking forward to seeing it the next time I visit!

hilary said...

Thanks! Honestly, I was petrified when we finished...it just seemed so ridiculous! I like your method, though. I'll remember that next time, although all of our rooms are painted now.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Wait... all the rooms? Even the grandma-wallpaper room?